British Sunday Roast

Question of the week: “Can you recommend a place that serves a tasty British Sunday Roast?”

"This is a tough question for me, especially as a vegetarian, Mildred’s in Soho do some appropriately ‘traditional English’ veggie dishes (like their mushroom and ale pie answer to the traditional steak and ale), but they’re not open on a Sunday. I hear good things from my omnivorous friends about Hawksmore Seven Dials – not cheap and very meat-based, but recommended by several groups of friends.

I think this is definitely one of those areas where learning to cook can pay off many times over. The trick is getting everything to be ready at the same time. Nigella Lawson has an excellent timetable in “How To Eat”. I highly recommend it: it makes everything so simple & I’ve edited my copy to cover the timings for a Quorn roast with all the trimmings ;p Once you’ve got a timing plan, it’s a very impressive meal but relatively simple - and inviting friends and family round for a Sunday roast is always going to get you top hospitality scores!"- Miss Alice

* Photo by sea turtle, used under Creative Commons, with thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment