London sculpture - Miss Alice

Question of the week: The London Centre is hosting a conference on Eric Gill next week. Aside from Gill's work, do you have a favourite London sculpture or sculptor?

"Another impossible question - one of the things I love about my city is the profusion of incidental sculptures all over the place, and one of my colleagues has already written on Paolozzi. To pick just one though - maybe the Animals in War memorial, in Park Lane, to bookend a week's posts that started with the Cenotaph.

It's a multi-piece work, a huge curved, carved stone wall, and four bronze statues, unveiled in 2004 after a public collection to raise the funds. It's stranded in the middle of all the traffic, and and end of town I very rarely have reason to visit, but whenever I do, it never fails to move me."
- Miss Alice

* Photo by GaijinSeb, used under Creative Commons, with thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment