London in verse - Catherine

Question of the week: Do you have a favourite London poem or nursery rhyme?

"While keeping with the topic of Nursery Rhymes, this one is not so much my favourite as something that terrified me when I heard it as a child. Imagine London Bridge falling down! I remember looking up the additional verses as reassurance that this was just a story to scare kids going through tunnels and overpasses, only to have my fears confirmed that the bridge was not always as sturdy as it seemed.

Now this rhyme haunts me in a whole new way ... because of Fergie (Black Eyed Peas, not the Duchess of York!) Is her song an homage to the popular nursery rhyme, or a bastardization of the cultural image? Whatever you think, I bet more of you have heard her lyrics (Oh Snap!) than have heard anything past the first “My Fair Lady” in the nursery rhyme.

The following verses are worth looking at, covering the history of the bridge from clay to brick to metal... even if it will make you think twice about going under the next bridge you come across!"
- Catherine

* Photo by andrew j w , used under Creative Commons, with thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment